Shirley Darlene Deel - Home School Coordinator
Office is open Monday - Friday
6:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Office is closed for lunch; lunch time varies
Please call to schedule appointments.
New Location for Home Education Office
113 Putnam County Boulevard
Building 2, Room 1
(Office is located behind the PAL Community Center Building)
East Palatka, FL 32131
Office: (386) 329-0683 Fax: (386) 329-0681
Call 329-0538 to to leave a message.
Deciding the Best Educational Route for your Student
Per Florida Statutes: Florida Law (Section 1003.21, Florida Statutes) states that all children who are either six years of age, who will be six years old by February 1 of any school year, or who are older than six years of age but who have not attained the age of 16 years, must attend school regularly during the entire school term. A student who attains the age of 16 years during the school year is not subject to compulsory attendance beyond the date of which the student attains that age if he/she files a formal declaration of intent to terminate school enrollment with the school district.
School attendance is the responsibility of the parent. Since there is a strong relationship between attendance and academic performance, it is important that parents take an active role in working with the school to ensure their child’s attendance on a daily basis. Schools provide information regarding attendance policies and procedures at the beginning of the school year. Parents must contact the school each time a student is absent. However, methods of notification vary among schools. Absences are classified as excused and unexcused, local school board policy lists the reasons for which an absence may be excused. Florida Statute 1003.24
Each district school board establishes an attendance policy that includes, but is not limited to, the required number of days each school year that a student must be in attendance and the number of absences and tardiness after which a statement explaining such absences and tardiness must be on file at the school. Each school in the district must determine if an absence or tardiness is excused or unexcused according to criteria established by the district school board. Florida Statute 1003.24 http://www.fldoe.org/schools/family-community/military-families/general-provisions-attendance.stml#attendance
Ready to Home School?
Instructions to register in the Putnam County
Home Education Program
- Open the Home Education Packet located on this page.
- Read through the packet and save to your computer.
- Fill out the registration on the last two pages.
- Call 386 329-0683 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. to arrange for a home school orientation. Closed for lunch - time varies. Call for appointment.
- Bring your driver’s licenses with current address or proof of residency along with the completed registration to your scheduled appointment.
- Coordinator may be contacted by mail or email.
Before you register for the home education program, it is always a good idea to:
- Speak with your school guidance counselor for assistance with your student.
- Consider the responsibilities of home school versus leaving your student in a “school” option.
- Consider the number of days left in school versus keeping a home school portfolio which must be kept for two years.
- Speak with others who have home schooled.
- Request the home school orientation which includes viewing home school portfolios which are mandated by Florida Statutes for parents choosing to home school their students.
- Consider the costs associated with home schooling your student.
- Consider the student’s willingness to home school.
- Determine a long time goal for your student’s education and the type of diploma your student will receive.